Churches

Archangelos Michail Church

michael

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The Church of Archangelos Michail in Pedoulas was built and decorated in 1474. It is a very small building with a usual sloping mountain rood. The templon is of the same period, intact and an excellent example of its kind.

The church is completely decorated on two levels, with 11 compositions from the Festival Cycle above and depictions of the saints below. The Crucifixion and the Ascension are depicted in the pediments. It is an example of local post – Byzantine painting 15 years before Venetian rule. The key can be found at the adjacent house, or leave a message for the village priest at the coffee shop.

Region: Hill Resorts – Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Address: Pedoulas, Lefkosia

Operating Hours: Daily (March – November 10:00-18:00

February 10:00-16:00)

View Larger Map

Agia Christina Church

agia-xristini5-172x300

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Situated in the center of Germasogeia village, this church was built in the 12th century and restored in 1996 during which 14th and 15th century wall paintings were uncovered under the plaster and restored. The church also houses an ecclesiastic museum.

Region: Lemesos

Address: Germsoageia, Lemesos

View Larger Map

Agia Napa Monastery

AGIA NAPA

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

This charming medieval monastery dedicated to ”Our Lady of the Forests” stands in the middle of the village of Agia Napa surrounded by a high wall. Both the village and the monastery take their name from the ancient Greek word for wooded valley “Napa”– a reference to the morphology of the area in the past. Built like a medieval castle around 1500 AD, Agia Napa Monastery is the best known landmark of the village as well of the surrounding area. The monastery is partly built underground and cut into the rock.

The ancient sycamore tree in front of the south gate is believed to be over 600 years old.

The monastery was restored in 1950 and in1978 became an Ecumenical Conference Centre serving churches in Cyprus and the Middle East. A new church built in1994 south west of the monastery is also dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

Region: Ammochostos

Address: Agia Napa Ammochostos

Operating Hours: Winter 09:30-15:00, Summer 09:30-21:00

Operating Period: All year round

Email: ancc@spidernet.com.cy

View Larger Map

Agia Paraskevi Byzantine Church

01-28

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

This interesting 9th century Byzantine church in Geroskipou has beautiful wall paintings and a five – domed basilica in the form of a cross – only one of two such churches on the island.

Region: Pafos

Address: Geroskipou, Pafos

Operating Hours: Monday – Saturday (April – October 08:00-13:00, 14:00-17:00)

Monday – Saturday (November – March 08:00-13:00, 14:00-16:00)


View Larger Map

Agia Solomoni Church

download
Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The so-called Catacomb of Agia Solomoni was originally built in the Hellenistic period. It consists of an open court surrounded by five rock – cut chambers, one of which has a spring. The west chamber has an apse set into the west wall and remnants of Christian wall paintings. It is clear that at some later point it was converted into a church. Agia Solomoni was one of the first to reject idolatry and embrace Christianity. According to tradition, Solomoni took refuge in the cave to escape persecution from the Romans. The Romans walled up the entrance, condemning her to a slow and cruel death. However, when the cave was opened 200 years later, the Saint walked out alive. There is a huge terebinth tree above the “catacomb”, its branches adorned by colourful rags and bits of clothing left by the faithful as offerings to the saint.

Pafos

Leoforos Agiou Pavlou, Kato Pafos

View Larger Map

Agios Antonios Byzantine Church

agios-antonios

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

One of the most important Byzantine churches of Cyprus, Agios Antonios at Kellia probably dates back to the 9th century. It is at three – aisled vaulted basilica that has undergone considerable reconstruction and repair. It preserves significant wall paintings surviving from the 9th, 11th and 13th centuries.

Region: Larnaka

Address: Kellia, Larnaka

Agios Georgios Arperas Church

Agios_Georgios_Arperas

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The church of Agios Georgios Arperas stands on the site of the medieval village of Arpera. It was built by the Dragoman Konstantinos Christofanis in 1745. A fresco in the church depicts him and his family offering the church to Agios Georgios. The church has many other frescoes signed by the painter Ioannikios.

Region: Larnaka

Address: Tersefanou, Larnaka

Agios Ioannis Cathedral

download (1)

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Agios Ioannis Cathedral in Lefkosia (Nicosia) within the old city walls is built on the site of the 14th century chapel of the Benedictine Abbey of Agios Ioannis the Evangelist of Bibi. Archbishop Nikiforos rebuilt the monastery chapel from its foundations in 1662. Dedicated to Agios Ioannis the Theologian, it is small, single-aisled and barrel vaulted in the Franco-Byzantine style, with external buttresses and a west portico. In contrast to the deliberately modest exterior that was required by Ottoman rule, the gilded woodwork and bright interior illuminated by crystal chandeliers can take the unsuspecting visitor by surprise. Covered in gold leaf, the woodcarving is in the best tradition of 18th century Cypriot craftsmanship. The four large icons are the work of Cretan master John Kornaris and were painted between 1795 and 1797. The 18th century wall paintings depict scenes from the Bible and the discovery of the tomb of Agios Varnavas near Salamis.

Region: Lefkosia

Address: Lefkosia (next to the Archbishopric)

Operating Hours: Monday – Friday 08:00-12:00, 14:00-16:00

Saturday 08:00-12:00 (and during Mass)

View Larger Map
Free entrance

Agios Ioannis Lampadistis Church

014

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Originally a monastery, this complex consists of three churches – Agios Herakleidios, Ioannis Lampadistis and a Latin chapel, all of which share a single enormous timber roof. The monastery is situated centrally in the region of the Troodos Mountains, just off the village of Kalopanagiotis. The precise date of the monastery’s foundation is not known. The building complex that survives until today has undergone extensive reconstruction and restoration at different periods.

The core monastery church, dated to the 11th century, is an arched cross-in-square structure. The Agios Ioannis Lampadistis chapel was built in the 12th century to the north of the first church and rested on the tomb of the Saint. The chapel collapsed later and was for its most part rebuilt in the 18th century. A new chapel was constructed to the north of that of Agios Ioannis during the second half of the 15th century. It later became known as the “Latin chapel” as it was believed to have been built for the Latins. The timbered roof that completely covers the roofs of all three churches and gives the complex its unique appearance was added at a later date.

Agios Herakleidios church has excellent 13th and 16th century frescoes and the most ancient wooden templon of Cyprus covered with heraldic-looking beasts such as the Lusignan lion and the Byzantine eagle, and with the arms of various Latin knights.

Region: Hill Resorts – Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Address: Kalopanagiotis, Troodos

Operating Hours: Daily (May – October 09:00-12:30, 14:00-17:00

November – April 09:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00)

View Larger Map

Agios Lazaros Church

images

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Situated in the centre of Larnaka (Larnaca), the magnificent early 10th century stone church of Agios Lazaros is one of the most important surviving Byzantine monuments of Cyprus. It was built by Byzantine Emperor Leo VI in exchange for the transfer of the Saint’s relic to Constantinople. The church lies over the tomb of Agios Lazaros, the resurrected friend of Jesus Christ who came to ancient Kition in 33 AD and became its first Bishop and Patron Saint. The tomb, along with other marble sarcophagi and box – shaped tombs brought to light during excavations, can be seen inside the church crypt.

The three imposing domes of this Orthodox Basilica Church and the original bell tower were destroyed, probably in the first years of Ottoman rule when the church was turned into a mosque. The brilliant byzantine artistry of the icons and the unique baroque woodcarving of the gold covered iconostasis were completed in 1782 and have survived until today.

Region: Larnaka

Address: Plateia Agiou Lazarou, Larnaka

Operating Hours: Monday – Friday 08:00-12:30, 14:30-17:30

Saturday – Sunday 08:00-17:30

Free entrance

View Larger Map

Agios Minas Convent

5046447-Agios_Minas_Convent_Larnaca

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

This 15th century convent near the village of Lefkara consists of a church, cloisters and other monastic buildings. Besides performing their religious rites, the nuns also paint icons. The convent probably began as a Dominican establishment. The church is the common mix of Byzantine and Gothic styles, with a pointed vault with traverse ribs and side porticos. On the north and south walls are two large paintings of Agios Georgios and Agios Minas dated 1757. Eighteenth century monastic buildings surround the church, with cloisters to the west.

Region: Larnaka

Address: Lefkara, Larnaka

Operating Hours: Daily 08:00-12:00, 15:00-17:00 (May-September), 08:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (October – April) For group visits call in advance

Operating Period: All year round

View Larger Map

Agios Neofytos Monastery

The history of the Monastery of Agios Neofytos is well documented in the autobiography of its founder, the Cypriot hermit and writer Neofytos. It is built in what used to be a secluded location at the head of a picturesque valley, about 10 kilometres northwest of Pafos (Paphos). The “Egkleistra”, an enclosure carved out of the mountain by the hermit at the end of the 12th century, contains some of the finest Byzantine frescoes from the 12th to the15th centuries.

The later monastery church contains some of the best examples of post – Byzantine icons of the 16th century, and there is also a very interesting ecclesiastical museum.

Region: Pafos

Address: Agios Neofytos, Pafos

Operating Hours: April – October: Monday – Sunday: 09:00 – 13:00, 14:00 – 18:00, November – March: Monday – Sunday: 09:00 – 13:00, 14:00 – 16:00

Operating Period: All year round

Entrance Fee: 1 Euro (for the Museum and the Encleistra)

View Larger Map

Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis Church

images

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis “Saint Nicholas of the Roof” near the village of Kakopetria belonged to a monastery. It is completely painted with murals dating from the11th to the 17th centuries and is considered one of the most interesting Byzantine churches on the island. The church took its name from the steep, pitched timber roof that was built to protect it from the weather.

Region: Hill Resorts – Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Addrees: Kakopetra, Troodos

Operating Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 09:00-16:00

Sunday 11:00-16:00

Monday closed

Free entrance

View Larger Map

Agios Nikolaos ton Gaton Convent

Cyprus_Lemesos_Agiou_Nikolaou_Gaton_5_lrg

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Situated on Cape Gata south east of Akrotiri Salt Lake near Lemesos (Limassol), Agios Nikolaos ton Gaton (St Nicholas of the Cats) is perhaps the first monastery in Cyprus. The present church probably dates to the late 14th century. Abandoned in the late 16th century, it was re-occupied by Orthodox nuns in the early 1980s. According to tradition, the monastery was founded in the 4th century by Agia Eleni, mother of Constantine the Great, who left a piece of wood from the Holy Cross there. At the time, the island was experiencing a severed rought, forcing many people to leave the island. Snakes multiplied and life in Cyprus, particularly at Akrotiri peninsula was unbearable. According to the medieval historian Stephen Lusignan, after Agia Eleni’s departure, Constantine the Great sent governor Kalokeros to Cyprus who brought thousands of cats to the island to exterminate the snakes.

Region: Lemesos

Address: Cape Gata, Lemesos

Operating Hours: Daily 08:00-17:00

Operating Period: All year round

View Larger Map

Angeloktisti Church

56Angeloktisti_Church_at_Kiti_Larnaca11

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

This 11th century Byzantine church, whose name means “built by angels”, was erected over the ruins of an Early Christian basilica in Kiti. The original apse survived together with one of the finest pieces of Byzantine art of the Justinian period, a rare 6th century mosaic of the Virgin and Child between two archangels. Only in Cyprus and in Mount Sinai have mosaics of this period survived the iconoclastic decrees ordering the destruction of most icons and objects of idolatry. Similar mosaics were those from the Church of Kanakaria, now on display in the Byzantine Museum in Lefkosia (Nicosia).

Note: Wheelchair accessible.

Region: Larnaka

Address: Kiti, Larnaka

Operating Hours: Summer (Monday – Saturday 07:00-18:45

Sunday 09:30- 18:45)

Winter (Monday – Saturday 07:00-16:45

Sunday 09:30-16:45

*For large groups you are requested to call in advance. Guide in English or Greek available on request.

Free entrance


View Larger Map

Archangelos Michail Convent

none2

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Dating to the Byzantine period, the church was founded by Archbishop Nikiforos whose tomb can be seen in the narthex. Rebuilding was carried out in 1636 and in 1713 when it was acquired by Kykkos Monastery. The iconostasis dates back to 1650 and there is a 1785 fresco of Archangelos Michail. Situated off the Lefkosia -Anthoupolis road, some 10 minutes drive from Lefkosia (Nicosia), the church now houses the Kykkos Monastery Research Centre.

Region: Lefkosia

Address: Lefkosia

Operating Period: All year round

View Larger Map

Chrysorrogiatissa Monastery

129-Hrysorroiatissa

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Set in beautiful surroundings, the Monastery of Chrysorrogiatissa in Pafos (Paphos) is dedicated to ‘Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate’. It was established in 1152 by monk Ignatios who, according to popular belief, found a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary off the shore of Pafos (Paphos) that had been thrown into the sea in Asia Minor during the iconoclastic controversy and carried by the waves to Cyprus.

The monastery was restored at the end of the 18th century.The single – aisle church, built on the foundations of an older one, has fine frescoes above the three entrances. The monastery is home to a collection of important icons and treasures. An impressive religious ceremony is held on August 15th. The monastery’s old winery produces some of the finest Cypriot wine.
Region: Pafos
Address: Pafos
Operating Hours: Daily: 09:30 – 12:30, 13:30 – 18:30 (May – August) , 10:00 – 12:30, 13:30 – 16:00 (September – April)
Operating Period: All year round

View Larger Map

Faneromeni Church

faneromeni

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Built in 1872 within the old city walls, this used to be the largest church in Lefkosia (Nicosia). The marble mausoleum to the east of the church contains the relics of the bishops and priests executed by the Ottomans in 1821.

Region: Lefkosia

Address: Onasagorou Street, Lefkosia

Free entrance


View Larger Map

Holy Cross Catholic Church

holy

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Situated at Pafos Gate just within the old walled city of Lefkosia (Nicosia), the Holy Cross Catholic Church dates back to 1900 and caters for the capital’s Roman Catholic community – both local and foreign. It was built on the site of an older church dedicated to the Holy Cross that was constructed in 1642 and remained in use until the end of the 19th century before it was pulled down to make room for the current building. The first stone of the present church was blessed on April 8, 1900 and the church was inaugurated in 1902. The cost was partly covered by the Royal Family of Spain and partly by the Franciscan Friars.

The Spanish influence is still very much in evidence, especially in a number of wooden statues of the saints and the coat of arms of the Royal House of Spain in the decorated ceiling. The Friary beside the church was rebuilt in 1959. The church has an elegant and simple façade, but does not belong to a definite style. The decorated ceiling is in the shape of a barrel vault. At the tympanum over the entrance there is a stained glass rose window with the Cross of Jerusalem. Below the rose window, is a coat of arms of the Custody of the Holy Land. There are 10 chapels inside. The sanctuary was renovated in 1998. Changes included the addition of a stained glass window. At the two sides of the altar are wooden statues of the Virgin Mary and St Joseph. Inside the arches there are 14 Stations of the Cross recalling the Passion of the Lord.

Lefkosia

Pafos Gate, Lefkosia

holcross@logos.cy.net

www.cypruscatholicchurch.org


View Larger Map

Kykkos Monastery

Cyprus_Troodos_Kykkos_Monastery_4_lrg

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The Monastery of Kykkos, the richest and most lavish of the monasteries of Cyprus, is found in the region of Marathasa. It is situated on a mountain peak, at an altitude of 1318 metres northwest of Troodos. Dedicated to Panagia, it possesses one of three icons attributed to Agios Loukas the Evangelist. The icon, covered in silver gilt, is in a shrine made of tortoise shell and mother – of – pearl that stands in front of the iconostasis.

The monastery was founded sometime between the end of the 11th century and the beginning of the12th century, during the reign of Emperor Alexios I Komnenos (1081-1118 AD). Unfortunately the monastery burned down several times and nothing remains of the original structure. Blessed with divine grace, Cypriot hermit Isaiah miraculously cured the emperor’s daughter of an incurable illness. As a reward, he asked for the icon of the Theotokos (Virgin Mary) kept at the imperial palace at Constantinople. Though grieved at the prospect of losing his precious treasure, the emperor sent it to Cyprus with fitting honours together with funds to pay for the construction of a monastery where the sacred relic would be kept. At the hermit’s request, the emperor’s representative in Cyprus Manuel Vutomites also endowed the monastery with three villages. As the gift was later confirmed by imperial charter, the monastery is considered to have been established by imperial decree.

The first President of the Republic of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III, served here as a novice. At his own wish he was buried on the summit of Throni, 3 kilometres west of the monastery, and not far from his native village of Panayia. The monastery produces zivania and a variety of other alcoholic drinks and holds religious fairs on September 8th (Birth of the Virgin) and August 15th (Dormition of the Virgin).

Region: Hill Resorts – Troodos

Address: Troodos

Operating Hours: The Monastery and the Museum are open daily: November – May: 10:00 – 16:00, June – October: 10:00 – 18:00

Operating Period: All year round

Entrance Fee: Entrance fees for the Museum: 5 Euro (3 Euro for Groups)

View Larger Map

Lazanias Saint George’s Church

Lazanias, is a historic village, unknown to a lot of people. Throughout the centuries, it has preserved a remarkable authenticity while at the same time the Greek character of its inhabitants has safeguarded morals, customs, religion and tradition. We should emphasize this because a farm of the Lusignan Crusaders has given rise to the foundation of this village. The village name “Lazanias” is an alteration of the word “Lusignan”.

The more the village remains unknown, the more the history of its church, dedicated to Saint George remains unknown. It is a wood carved church built in 1855. Ten years later, a priest monk gilded the iconostasis on his own expenses. Up there, one can read the following inscription:

GILDED ON THE EXPESES OF
PRIEST MONK MITROPHANIS
MAIN SACRISTAN 1865
April 27th
WRITTEN BY IOANNIS M. Z.

A vegetal decoration which looks like a painted work of art, drifts the eyes because of the strange way that it trails over the roof and decorates it. The carved gynaeconitis of the small church is also a work of art. The three earthenware jars that are planted on the floor of the church are the most extraordinary thing that surprises the visitor. It is said that they were useful for the better acoustics of the Mass.

Lazaniades, as the inhabitants of the village are named by Leontios Machairas in his Chronicle, are all Christian Orthodox with a great ancestors’ generation of priests. It is worth noting that for centuries now, the Monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary up in Machairas mountains silently looks on the village and a lot of monks have lived there. Some of them have risen to high ranks of the religious hierarchy.

Church service: One Sunday once a month

Region: Lefkosia

Address: Lazanias, Lefkosia

Operation Period: All year round

Free Entrance

Machairas Monastery

MAXAIR

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Machairas Monastery is situated at an altitude of 870 metres on the slopes of Mount Kionia in a picturesque depression of the Machairas Mountains. It houses the miraculous icon of Panagia of Machairas, attributed to Agios Loukas the Evangelist. Legend has it that an unknown hermit brought the icon to Cyprus secretly from Asia Minor during the years of iconoclasm (8th – 9th centuries). The hermit resorted to a cave on the mountains of Machairas. After his death, the holy icon remained there until around 1145, when blessed with divine grace the hermits Neofytos and Ignatios, reached the spot and found the cave covered with bushes. In order to approach the icon, the two hermits had to cut the bushes with the help of a knife given to them by divine hand. Thus, the icon took the name ‘Machairiotissa’ (the word machairi in Greek means knife) or, more simply, of Machaira. The monastery of the same name was later built on the same spot and is one of three Cyprus monasteries that remain under the Patriarch’s jurisdiction.

The brotherhood is extremely devout, keeping vows as strict as those of Mount Athos in Greece.

The monastery of Machaira has big estates of land acquired from donations dating the Frankish era. The three – nave church of the monastery was built between 1892 and 1900. Its wood – carved iconostasis was made in 1919 -1921 by Georgios Kyriakou from the village of Chrysida. The bell tower is 19 metres high and dates to 1900.

Thanks to a grant by the Anastasios G.Leventis Foundation, the monastery’s vestry in the basement was renovated. It consists of the monks’ original cells as well as stables and storage areas. It also houses a collection of old books and manuscripts, icons and other religious artefacts.

No photos or video – cameras are allowed within the monastery area.

Region: Hill Resorts, Troodos

Address: Troodos

Operating Hours:  Open daily from 08:30 – 17:30 The monastery is open for group visits only on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 09:00 – 12:00 (Call in advance)

Operating Period: All year round

View Larger Map

Metamorfosis tou Sotiros Church

metamorfisi

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The Metamorfosis tou Sotiros Church (Transfiguration of the Saviour), a UNESCO World Heritage site, is an early 16th century chapel on the hill overlooking the beautiful old village of Palaichori. Its interior is completely painted with one of the most complete series of murals of the post-Byzantine period in Cyprus.

Hill Resorts, Troodos

Unesco World Heritage

Palaichori, Troodos

View Larger Map

Panagia Asinou Church

asinou

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The famous Byzantine church of Asinou, a UNESCO World Heritage site, has some of the finest examples of Byzantine wall painting on the island. Asinou comes from the Greek Asine, which is an ancient city founded by immigrants from the Greek city Argolis in the 11th century BC. The church dates to the early 12th century and the murals inside date from the 12th century to the 17th century. Visitors should ask for the priest of Nikitari village to escort them.

Hill Resorts – Troodos

Unesco World Heritage

Nikitari, Troodos

Monday – Saturday 09:30 – 13:00, 14:00 – 16:00

Sunday: 10:00 – 16:00

All year round

View Larger Map

Panagia Chryseleousa Church

Situated in Empa village near Pafos (Paphos), this is actually a combination of two churches. The eastern section was first built as a cruciform church with a dome in the 12th century, possibly on the ruins of an early Christian basilica. Later in the 13th century; an extension was made to the west with a domed building of the cross-in-square type. The church retains valuable wall paintings of the 12th, 13th, 15th and 16th centuries.

Pafos

Empa, Pafos

All year round

Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa Church

A three-aisled church with a steep pitched roof and flat roof tiles, Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa is situated in Kourdali village. It was built in the 16th century as a monastery church dedicated to Panagia and founded by deacon Ioannis Kourdalis, The wall paintings are of the same period, and some have western influences. The iconostasis is a beautiful example of wood sculpture of the 16th -17th centuries.

Region: Hill Resorts, Troodos

Address: Kourdali, Troodos

Operating Period: All year round

Panagia Chrysospiliotissa Church

The cave church of Our Lady of the Golden Cave on the outskirts of Lefkosia (Nicosia) on the road to Dheftera is a picturesque example of a type of Levantine monastery or hermitage uncommon in Cyprus but typical of ancient Levantine Christianity. It consists of a natural sandstone cave enlarged to form an apse, nave, narthex and vestries, lovingly tended by women from the village. It was once completely decorated, but all the plaster has fallen away except in the sanctuary and even that has been defaced. The church houses a rain – inducingicon of the Virgin, invoked in times of drought. A religious fair is held near the church on August 15th, name day of Panagia.

Region: Lefkosia

Address: Deftera, Lefkosia

Operating Period: All year round

Panagia Podithou Church

potithou

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Situated near the village of Galata, Panagia Podithou is an important church included on UNESCO’s World Heritage list. Erected in 1502, it once belonged to a monastery. Its paintings are of the Italo – Byzantine style, which appeared on the island towards the end of the 15th century.

Region: Hill Resorts, Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Address: Galata, Troodos

Operating Hours: For a visit please contact Mr Athos Savvides (at the coffee shop)

View Larger Map

Panagia tis Amasgou Church

Dedicated to Panagia, this small church was built at the end of the 11th century. A rectangular, vaulted church with arched recesses and two later transverse ribs that support the vault, it has some rare mural paintings of the 12th, 14th and 18th centuries, equivalent in beauty and significance to those of Asinou and Panagia tou Araka. Part of the monastic buildings has been renovated according to the original plan. The church is situated some 20 minutes away from Lemesos (Limassol).

Lemesos

Lemesos

All year round

Panagia tou Araka Church

1

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The 12th century church of Panagia tou Araka, a UNESCO World Heritage site, stands just outside the village of Lagoudera and boasts some of the finest frescoes of the late Comnenian style (1192) prevailing throughout Greece, the Balkans and Russia. Together with the churches of Asinou and Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis, it is considered to be one of the most important Byzantine churches on the island. Visitors should ask for the priest, who can be found on the premises next to the church, to escort them to the church.

Region: Hill Resorts, Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Address: Lagoudera, Troodos

Operating Hours: Daily 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00

Operating Period: All year round


View Larger Map

Panagia tou Moutoulla Church

mar

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

A UNESCO World Heritage site, the tiny 13th century chapel Panagia tou Moutoulla is one of the earliest dated examples of its type, with a steep, pitched wooden roof and frescoes dating to 1280. Visitors can obtain the key from the adjacent house.

Region: Hill Resorts, Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Address: Moutoullas, Troodos

Operating Hours: Please contact Father Miltiades to arrange a visit

Operating Period: All year round

Panagia tou Sinti Monastery

Cyprus_Pafos_Panagia_Tou_Sinti_Monastery_2_lrg

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

This abandoned monastery is situated on the banks of the Xeros River. The 16th century central nave is in good condition and considered one of the most important buildings of the Venetian period. In 1977 it received the Europa Nostra Award for the restoration and conservation work carried out on it.

Region: Pafos
Address: Pentalia, Pafos
Operating Period: All year round


View Larger Map

Royal Chapel

Built by the Lusignan King Janus in 1421, it contains a wall painting of the king with his wife, Charlotte de Bourbon. Considered one of the most interesting structures surviving from the Frankish period, the Royal Chapel is situated in Pyrga village.

Region: Larnaka

Address: Pyrga, Larnaka

Operating Hours: Daily, any reasonable hour

Operating Period: All year round

Entrance Fee: 4,50 Euro. There is a reduction of 20% for groups of visitors consisting of more than ten persons. The Director of the Department can issue special entry cards for a period of one day for €8,50 for a period of three days for €17,00 and for a period of seven days for €25,00.

Saint Catherine’s Catholic Church

cathilic

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Built in Lemesos (Limassol) in 1879, the church is dedicated to St. Catherine. The architect Friar Francescoda Monghidoro from Bologna followed the prevailing European artistic trends for such buildings of the time. He used a Baroque style in the interior, opting for an eclectic design for the exterior façade that is dominated by the portico. The walls on the apse and the vault are decorated with Neo-Byzantine frescoes painted during renovation work in 1979.

Region: Lemesos

Address: 28 Octovriou No. 259, Lemesos

Operating Hours: Masses: Daily 18:30, Sunday 08:00, 09:30 (Greek), 11:00                                             (Latin), 18:30 (English)


View Larger Map

Stavros tou Agiasmati Church

AGIASMATI

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The 15th century church of Stavros tou Agiasmati, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is situated about 3 kilometres outside the mountain village of Platanistasa. It retains the most complete cycles of mural paintings of the second half of the 15th century in Cyprus. The key to the church can be obtained from the village priest.

Region: Hill Resorts, Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Address: Platanistasa, Troodos

Operating Hours: To arrange a visit please contact me Arstofanis (at the coffee                                        shop)

Operating Period: All year round

View Larger Map

Stavrovouni Monastery

stavro

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

Perched on a rocky peak, Stavrovouni means Mountain of the Cross. According to tradition; it was founded in the 4th century by the mother of Constantine the Great, Agia Eleni, who left a fragment of the Holy Cross at the monastery. The brotherhood is extremely devout, keeping vows as strict as those at Mount Athos in Greece. There is an impressive ceremony and celebrations on September 14th, the day of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.

The Monastery of Agia Varvara (Saint Barbara) at the foot of Stavrovouni Hill is easily accessible. The monks here have a reputation for icon painting. Women are not allowed to visit Stavrovouni Monastery. Men may visit the monastery, but must be decently dressed. The use of cameras or video cameras is prohibited.

Note: Women are not allowed to visit Stavrovouni Monastery. Men may visit the Monastery, dressed properly. The use of cameras or video-cameras is prohibited

Region: Larnaka

Address: Larnaka

Operating Hours: September – March: 07:00 – 11:00, 14:00 – 17:00, April – August: 08:00 – 12:00, 15:00 – 18:00


View Larger Map

Terra Santa Catholic Church

Terra Santa is the church of the Latin community in Larnaka (Larnaca). Franciscan monk Callixte Martel founded the church and the convent in 1596, mainly to host Latin pilgrims on their way to the Holy Land. In 1724 another bigger church and convent replaced the first. These were demolished again in 1842 to be replaced by the present church. The convent is also known as Santa Maria delle Grazie and its Latin style is one of the finest in Cyprus, with Renaissance and Baroque characteristics.

Region: Larnaka

Address: Terra Santa 8, Larnaka

Operating Hours: Masses: Monday – Saturday 08:00 (Latin)

Saturday 18:30 (English)

Sunday 08:00 (Greek), 09:30 (English)

Operating Period: All year round

Timios Stavros Church

The 14th century church of Timiou Stavrou in Pelendri village is decorated with exquisite wall paintings of the Paleological period and is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Region: Hill Resorts, Troodos

Accreditation: Unesco World Heritage

Address: Pelendri, Troodos

Operating Hours: Daily 12:00-17:00

Operating Period: All year round

Trooditissa Monastery

TROODO

Copyright© 2014 Cyprus Highlights

The exact date of the foundation of Trooditissa Monastery, situated on the southern slopes of the Troodos Mountains, is not known. But according to local tradition, the monastery was established immediately after the iconoclastic era. As with other monasteries, it was preceded by a hermit who resorted there during the years of the iconoclasm. Nothing remains of the monastery of the Middle Byzantine period or the period of Frankish rule. The oldest reference to the Monastery of Trooditissa is found in a copy of a 14th century deed.

The church, as well as the monastic buildings, belong to a later period and can be dated to the end of the 18th or the 19th and 20th centuries. The heirlooms saved in the church of the monastery also belong to these later periods. The present church, dating to 1731, contains valuable icons including a precious icon of Panagia covered with silver-gilt from Asia Minor.

Monk Damaskinos (1939 – 1942) and his success or Abbot Pangkratios, revived the monastery after it came close to being dissolved in the 19th century. A large religious fair is held every year on the grounds of the monastery on August 15th, day of the Dormition of Panagia. Prayers to the holy icon of Panagia give hope to childless couples wishing to have children.

Region : Hill Resorts, Troodos

Address:  Troodos

Operating Hours:  Visit only the church of the Monastery

View Larger Map